Waterloo Rental License Information

Waterloo Rental License Information

To check if a property is licensed, click here and type in the address.

Information courtesy of the City of Waterloo web site: http://www.waterloo.ca/en/government/residentialrentallicences.asp

Frequently asked questions:

Q. How do I know if I need a licence?
Anyone renting out a low-rise residential unit in Waterloo requires a rental licence. More specifically, any property that does not meet all of the following requires a licence:
– Contains four or more dwelling units
– Has horizontally separated dwelling units
– Has a common interior corridor system with a common exit at grade level

Q. What class of licence do I need?
. The licence classes are available in the schedules attached to the residential rental housing by-law.

Q. If I only rent out one, two or three bedrooms, do I still need a rental housing licence?
. Yes. Renting any bedroom in any low-rise building requires a rental housing licence.

Q. What are the costs associated with the application?
The rental housing licensing fee chartoutlines the application fees as well as the renewal fees, which are due annually on April 1. A preliminary consultation fee is required with each licence application. If we reject an application because it is incomplete, this fee will be forfeited and a new fee will be required for reapplication.

Q. How do I apply for a licence?
You can apply online or in person at City Hallat 100 Regina St. S.The online application fee – including a transaction fee of 1.87 per cent of the total – can be paid using Visa, MasterCard or American Express. In person applications can be paid by cash, cheque, debit or money order.

Q.  Can I transfer my rental housing licence if I sell my rental unit?
No. The rental housing licence is not transferable. The new owner will need to apply for a new licence, which includes getting all the necessary documentation and inspections. Please contact the enforcement division if you sell your rental unit.

Residential Rental Licence applications are available in person using this application. Only completed applications, including all supporting documentation, will be processed.

Once the application is complete, please bring all your documentation to the enforcement office on the first floor of City Hall at 100 Regina St. S. in Waterloo. Applications for Rental Housing Licences and renewal applications for existing licences can also be submitted online.

To help with the application process, please view our sample application package. If you require an accessible version, please contact Municipal Enforcement Services.

Supporting documents
– Police criminal record check (issued within six months of the date of application)
– Electrical Safety Authority ElecCheck Certificate (issued within 6 months of the date of application)
– HVAC certificate(issued within six months of the date of application)Insurance certificate
– Floor plan
– Parking plan
– Proof of ownership (transfer agreement or deed)
– Property maintenance plan

This handout outlines the rental licensing fees, including initial application and renewal fees. We accept cash, debit, cheque or money order methods of payment for in-person applications. Please make your cheque or money order payable to the City of Waterloo.

Type Fee
Preliminary Application $68.15
Class A 4 Bedroom $598.66
Class A 3 Bedroom $544.23
Class A 2 Bedroom $494.76
Class A 1 Bedroom $449.78
Class B&E – 4 Bedroom $498.88  
Class B&E – 3 Bedroom $453.53
Class B&E – 2 Bedroom $412.30
Class B&E – 1 Bedroom $374.82
Class  C $757.30
Class D1 $688.45  
Class D2 $628.87  
Class Z 4 Bedroom $598.66
Class Licenses Z 3 Bedroom $544.23
Class Licenses Z 2 Bedroom $494.76
Class Licenses Z 1 Bedroom $449.78
Class Z Bedroom Premium $44.98/Bedroom


Translate »